Thursday, March 6, 2014

Yorkie Batman Sweater

Hello and welcome back to Crafting with Steph!

Today, I have another knitting pattern to share! This one is a sweater I made for a very important friend of mine- my dog, Cody (you can learn more about him on his blog, codytheyorkie.blogspot.com). 




I used Red Heart Super Saver Yarn in Bright Yellow, Turquoise, and Shocking Pink, and size 9 US knitting needles.



My sweater was made to fit my dog, who is a size small in dog. 



We will start with the back of the sweater (the part on the dogs back). To begin, cast on 40 stitches. 

Knit 10 rows of knit 2, purl 2. 


After that, knit for 10 rows in stockinette stitch.


On the 11th row, start this pattern:




After you have finished the pattern, knit for 8 more rows. 

On the ninth row, decrease 4 stitches by knitting 2 together four times. Do this for the 10th and 11th rows too, so that you have decreased 12 stitches in total, leaving you with 28 stitches on your needle. 

Knit 2 more rows, and then switch to the knit 2, purl 2 technique for 10 rows. 

Bind off. Sew in tails. 




For the front of the sweater (the part on the dog's belly), you will need to cast on 30 stitches. 

As in the back, you will need to knit the first 10 rows in knit 2, purl 2. 

I did this side of the sweater in stripes, so after the first 10 rows in yellow, I switched to blue yarn. 

After knitting 10 rows in blue stockinette stitch, I switched back to yellow, in which I knit another 10 rows. 

Next, I switched to pink. I knit 3 rows, and on the 4th row, I decreased 4 stitches by knitting 2 together 4 times. 

I knit the 5th row, and on the 6th row, I decreased 2 stitches. 

I knit 7-9 rows, each with 22 stitches on them. 

On the tenth row, I added 6 stitches by using the MAKE 1 technique. I knit 3, made 1, knit 3, made 1, knit 3, made 1, knit 3, made 1, knit 3, made 1, knit 3, made 1, knit 4, made 1. This gave me back a total of 28 stitches.

Switch back to yellow, and knit 10 rows in knit 2, purl 2. 

Cast off, and sew in all your tails. 


Now, you're ready to finish your dog sweater. With both front sides of the sweater facing each other, sew them together. The top of the back and the top of the front should be equal. Make sure to leave space where we decreased for the dog's front leg holes. Sew along the side of the leg hole on one side, to reinforce it. Do this on both sides.



After you finish sewing the sides, sew in your tails. Your new dog sweater is ready for your furry friends to wear!

Enjoy!  


- steph365 3/6/14

No comments:

Post a Comment